Saturday, May 25, 2013

Center Step Happy Birthday Erin Card!

So my BFF, Erin, is turning 39 this coming Monday, May 27th and I of course had to create a special card for her.  Her husband, Kevin, is throwing her a Memorial day birthday BBQ tomorrow, which is Sunday.  Jimmy and I will definitely be making an appearance there after my parent's BBQ, so we will be having lots of yummies tomorrow!

When I was planning on the type of card I wanted to make for her, I knew I wanted to use a green color, since she loves that color but I knew that I didn't want to use Emerald green because I honestly don't have anything that color, not even cardstock.  The color I ended up chooing was a teal tone and purple because I thought that they would look great, and as luck would have it, I found this really pretty pattern paper in my stash that would look great with the cardstock that I chose. 

Now once I decided on the colors, I needed to decide what type of card I would create.  That is where my monthly techniques class taught by my Stampin' Up demonstrator, Sandy Mathis, came in.  Earlier this month, Sandy had a fancy folds techniques class where she taught us 3 different card folds a little fancier than the average folded card.  One of these folds was the Center Step.  She used the steps shown in the tutorial from Splitcoast Stampers for this fold.  We created a Mother's day card in my class using the center step that my mother found absolutely beautiful when I gave it to her this past Mother's Day. 

I knew that this card fold was the one that I had to use for Erin's card.  The only problem that I had was that the original tutorial creates a 5" x 5 1/2" card and I don't have any envelopes to fit that size card.  I know I could make my own but i'm horrible at create your own envelopes and I haven't got my hands on that new WeR Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board yet, so I decided that I would tweak the measurements to create a center step that would fit a standard A2 size envelope. 

This is what I came up with:



I think the results are wonderful and I will definitely use this size again so I don't have to use a special envelope.  If you are interested in the measurements, here they are:

Card base
- Cut cardstock to 4.25" x 11"
- Place cardstock in your trimmer along the 11" side and come in .75" and cut from 1" to 6.5" on both sides.  This is the only cutting you have to do to the base.
- Score at 1", 2", and 6.5" on the outside edge to the cut line on both sides.
- Score at 5.5" on the inside of the cut lines.
- Fold as shown in picture.
Cardstock Mats:
- Cut coordinating cardstock down to the following mat sizes:
   2 5/8" x 4 3/8"
   5/8" x 4 3/8" twice
   7/8" x 4 1/8"
Layer:
- Cut coordinating patterned paper to the following sizes:
   2.5" x 4.25"
   .50" x 4.25" twice
   .75" x 4"

Supplies:
Cardstock:  Recollections Sugar Candy (Teal) and Cool Water (Purple)
Pattern Paper: Nicole Twilight Florals paper pack
Stamps:  Alpha4Fayleen (The Stamps of Life) and Anna Griffin Sentiment Stamps
Ink:  Momento Tuxedo Black
Ribbon:  3/8" White Satin Ribbon from Papermart
Die:  Cottage Cutz Flower, Layered (4x4)
Punch:  Martha Stewart Deep Edge Doily Lace punch
Bling:  Doodlebug jewels in Lilac
            Royal Jewels in lavender from The Scrapbooking Queen
Adhesive:  ATG tape, Zig 2 way glue pen, Micro glue dots

Well, I think I have made up for the long time of not posting anything by this really long post so I am going to get going now.  I'm hoping to start posting more so, hopefully, I'll talk to you soon.

Marina

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Leigh, thank you so much for the very kind words. I don't have much traffic at all on my blog and it is nice when someone likes what I have created!

      Delete
  2. Wow what a Great Card Design! Love your Tutorial! Hope she loved her Gorgeous Card!

    ReplyDelete